Can't Access My Account, After Accessing Website

Reaction score
I would appreciate some help with a problem that I'm having with my computer not being able to access my account at the local library's website. The library's website comes up, and I can view items they have displayed on their "welcome" page; however, I cannot access my own account information, as well as use the website's catalog "search" function to find new library materials. Whenever I try either of these actions, the message, "This page cannot be displayed" pops up.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium Edition on an Acer 5742Z Aspire laptop. The browser is Internet Explorer 11.

I have tried:
  • resetting IE ("Tools"->"Internet Options,"->"Advanced,"->"Reset," then restarted the computer).
  • Also tried turning off the pop-up blocker, as well as
  • adding the library's address to the list of sites allowed to use cookies ("Tools"->"Internet Options,"->"Privacy,"->"Sites," then type in the library's address -"Allow"-"OK"
...but none of those actions have worked.

Any help would be much appreciated.

By the way, when I go to my wife's computer, I can access my account and search the library's catalog just fine, no problems, so it's obviously something on my laptop's IE settings that's not allowing me to access the library's full functionality.

Reaction score
It sounds more like you have login problem rather than a computer problem, but I can't tell from here.

Reaction score
It sounds more like you have login problem rather than a computer problem, but I can't tell from here.
Hi jefboyardee. Thanks for the response.

Hmm, well I dunno. If you want to access your personal account, their website requires a login, alright. However, as stated, I am not able to even search the catalog from my own computer, without getting the message, "This page cannot be displayed," and it's not required to log in, just to do a search of the catalog.

I thought that maybe they had blocked my account or something, due to there perhaps being overdue/lost items that I had checked out, but that's not true. I don't have any overdue or lost items, and, also as stated, I can use the website just fine from my wife's computer, so it has something to do with my laptop, and nothing to do with the library's end of the whole matter.

Reaction score
Well, there's always rebooting your PC and seeing if it helped. Does amazing things sometimes. But otherwise, I can't think of a way to help, sorry.

Reaction score
While trying to view the site, try forcing a refresh of the browser cache by pressing "Ctrl + F5". It may or may not help. but it is worth a shot and actually helped me a few weeks ago. I had a similar issue that lingered after a reboot and cleaning with CCleaner.

Reaction score
Well, there's always rebooting your PC and seeing if it helped. Does amazing things sometimes. But otherwise, I can't think of a way to help, sorry.
Yeah, I know what you mean about that. Rebooting computers, printers, and routers sometimes does the trick, for sure; however, I've already tried that with no luck.

Well, thanks for your effort, anyway; it's appreciated.

Reaction score
Yeah, I know what you mean about that. Rebooting computers, printers, and routers sometimes does the trick, for sure; however, I've already tried that with no luck.

Well, thanks for your effort, anyway; it's appreciated.
While trying to view the site, try forcing a refresh of the browser cache by pressing "Ctrl + F5". It may or may not help. but it is worth a shot and actually helped me a few weeks ago. I had a similar issue that lingered after a reboot and cleaning with CCleaner.
Hi Cliff. Thanks for your answer.

Well, I'll sure give it a try. As a matter of fact, I use CCleaner all the time, so that might be it.

Do you mean accessing the website first, then pressing "Ctrl + F5" or pressing them before going to the website?

Reaction score
Well, I just went to their website and tried "Ctrl + F5," but it didn't work either.

Boy, this sure is frustrating! Computers: they're so unforgiving. If you have one small thing set wrong, you're dead in the water. No such thing as "fuzzy logic," I guess.

Reaction score
To be clear your wife's computer has IE11 as well, so it is not a website problem with IE11?

Reaction score
To be clear your wife's computer has IE11 as well, so it is not a website problem with IE11?

Well no, actually. She has a Mac and is using Safari. I'm betting that it is, in fact, something to do with IE, but I'm just not computer savvy enough to know what it is.

Ask a Question