Cannot Disable File/Printer Sharing

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a brand new Asus Eee PC Netbook (12.1 inch, model 1201N), running Windows 7 Home Premium, and a Wi-fi connection via my Verizon FIOS router.

Been trying quite unsuccessfully to "Turn off file and printer sharing", under Control Panel> Network and Sharing Center> "Change Advanced Sharing Settings".

No matter how many times I tick that option to disable it, (it is apparently turned on by default), and then click the SAVE CHANGES button, it will revert back to the default setting if I reopen that area, as well as if I reboot.

It did keep the setting I changed in same area for "Turn Off Public Folder Sharing", but will not for the file/printer sharing. Also tried turning off Network Discovery, and it reverts back to being on as well!

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance!
~Sus@n :)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That's spot on there davehc!

You da man!

Reaction score
Rather than print out, what has already been perfectly done,may I direct you to this excellent tutorial. It is for Vista, but is identical to the procedure for Windows 7.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/126388-file-sharing-turn-off.html
---------------------------------

Thank you for your reply, davehc !

I had tried the steps stated in the link above, and still could not disable File & Printer Sharing. After doing several other searches and reading other articles, I performed additional steps to turn off all file sharing in Windows 7. There are SO many different file sharing areas in Win 7 to turn off!! Then rebooted and finally, "Disable File & Printer Sharing" was turned OFF! It may have been combo of the other steps I took in addition to the one you so graciously linked me to, or it may have been all the steps <shrug> Whatever the case, it's finally disabled.

For anyone else having same problem, and/or just want to see exactly what all the steps were that I took, here they are:

1) Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Choose "Homegroup and sharing options."
-Uncheck sharing boxes that you don’t want to share. Save changes.

2) Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center >Choose "Homegroup and sharing options" > "Change advanced sharing settings."
- Click “Turn off Public folder sharing (people logged on to this computer can still access these folders)”.

3) Start> Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Choose "Homegroup and sharing options" > "Change advanced sharing settings."
- Choose Media streaming options.
- Click “Block All” button. Turn off. Click OK.

4) Open Windows Explorer.
a) Select “C:/Users” folder with single click, then click “Share with” in toolbar.
b) Select "Advanced sharing"
c) Under Sharing tab, select Advanced Sharing. Uncheck box labeled “Share this folder”. Apply and close.

5) Open Windows Explorer.
Select “C:/Users/” , select each folder and file, one by one, under "Users", then click “Share with” in toolbar, then click “Nobody”.

~Sus@n

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Amazing, I saw your problem and thought I would help, but instead see you took personal credit for cutting and pasting my fix.

Great work.

https://www.w7forums.com/unsharing-homegroup-folders-but-sharing-printer-t3310.html
-------------------------------------------------

Dear Win7:

When I posted my reply, I DID hyperlink the URL https://www.w7forums.com/unsharing-homegroup-folders-but-sharing-printer-t3310.html within my reply and NEVER took personal credit for the steps within it! I even wrote (and it was these words I hyperlinked): " After doing several other searches and reading other articles..."

Why it isn't showing as a hyperlink now does not make any sense to me. But then there seem to apparently be a problem with the board, or maybe the browser I'm using, because when I use the "Quote"box feature, it doesn't work right and you can see the HTML markup, which apparently is then edited by the moderator in this forum.

Again, I'm sorry you believed I would post your (or anyone else's) steps without citing the source, but that was not the intent or case here. I can also now thank you as well for posting such clear and concise instructions, too.
~Sus@n

Reaction score
Sure Sure, I think the only solution is a big wet cyber kiss. ;-)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Sus@n - When doing a hyperlink and you want the text to be a part of the hyperlink go ahead and type the text you want then highlight with the cursor and click the blue globe symbol and paste your hyperlink in the blank field that pops up.

The highlighted text then turns blue with an underline in the message window., when you preview you message or submit then the underline disappears and just the blue text remains.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
A point here. The subject of publishing tips from other sources, without reference, has come up in a previous thread.
There is no instant solution. Pretty much every hint, tip and modification, that could be devised, has been already posted somewhere on the web.
There is no such thing as copyright, in this matter. Out of respect, possibly, one could reword the post so that it does not appear too much like the original. I think this is the better option.
To post without quoteing the source, may result in a little flaming, as we have witnessed in this thread. But, on the other hand, sometimes the source may go back beyond that referred to. In this case, for example, whilst win7's post is commendable, you will find an almost identical post, from earlier days, in many instances on the web. Coincidence? possibly, for all solutions are often leading along the same path.

http://windows.bigresource.com/Win7-sharing-search-folders-issue-E0AK4nEo.html

But don't let it distress you too much, Susan. I am certain it will not be the last time that you enter a thread and find the same subject under discussion.
Fwiw. In the very early days of Windows Vista Beta testing, and subsequently Windows 7, I invented several solutions to problems myself. On other sites, the same solutions were being posted, pretty much at the same time. It would have been petty to have started arguments over the precedence - the object was the same - too improve the forthcoming releases. A few solutions I did take pride in, and a couple are still being widely used today, under the guise of many different usernames. It troubles me not, had I not got there, undoubtably someone else would have, in short time. The success story in satisfaction remains.

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

First, I wasn't exactly busting (e-mail address removed) kneecaps, I just teased her.

Second, my work was 100% independent, as I could find no suitable solutions on the internet.

Thirdly, I put extra work in to make it a clear step-by-step process for the convoluted Windows Home Network Interface, as opposed to the criptic comments often posted.

Forthly, no reply to the above comments are required as your surrender has already been accepted.

;-)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's been 4 months, forget it and move on; Sus@n obviously has, as she never returned.

Ask a Question