Cannot delete/stop the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

Reaction score
Hi there. My Windows Media Player 12 won't update the library when music is added and removed. From the Microsoft Community site, I found the best way to do this is to access,

"C:\Users\"Your Username"\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player"

and delete all the files in the folder. I've done this in the past with no problem. This time, I'm not able to delete the file, CurrentDatabase_372 and I receive the following error message,

"The action can't be completed because the file is open in Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service"

I've looked around and I cannot find a way to access the Sharing Service and stop/close/delete the CurrentDatabase_372 file.

Does anyone know to accomplish this? I'm not able to access about half my music library.

Thank you.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well that sounds like a terrible way to have to update your library every time but I think the easiest way to delete the file would be to install Unlocker. It is one of the programs in our Freeware DB and one I personally recommended and use myself.

Once you install Unlocker, find the file in Windows Explorer and right-click, choose unlocker, and tell unlocker to delete the file, if it cannot delete it now, you can set it so it deletes on reboot. Reboot and you should be all set.

Personally I disable the WMP network sharing service all together as I don't want it accessing the internet for album covers etc. See How HERE.

Last edited:

Ask a Question