Cannot access one pc only on network.

Reaction score
Here is my issue. I have 3 pc's all on the same router. one is wireless and running linux mint 16, the other two are wired with one running w7 ultimate 32 and the other running w7 ultimate 64. Since about the beginning of April the 32 bit machine cannot access the 64 bit machine. It shows it in the network but cannot ping or view files. I can view and ping the 32 machine from the 64 machine though. The linux pc can be seen and accesed by both w7 machines. This is also a work pc for me and is a major problem. I use synergy to share my mouse and keyboard and haven't changed anything. It was working fine for a couple of years and all of a sudden it stopped.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Have you tried turning off the firewall on the 64bit machine?

Below is from this article.

You should not turn off Windows Firewall unless you have another firewall enabled. Turning off Windows Firewall might make your computer (and your network, if you have one) more vulnerable to damage from worms or hackers.

1. Open Windows Firewall by clicking the Start button
    , clicking Control Panel, clicking Security, and then clicking Windows Firewall.

2. Click Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click Off (not recommended), and then click OK.

Reaction score
That's not the problem. Tried that. If the next question was about TCP/IP NetBIOS on or off, its on on both windows machines. Like I said it just started out of nowhere. No changes.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Well no, the next question wouldn't be that. Because your problem is inbound comms on the 64bit machine.
Is SAMBA loaded on the Linux Mint machine? If it is, can you browse using SAMBA utils to the 64bit box?

What AV software do you have installed?
Do you have Or did you have any 3rd party firewall software installed?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Also as a precaution and to cover bases, I would strongly suggest that you scan the 64 bit machine with Windows Defender Offline.
It doesn't matter if you have scanned the machine a hundred times with the Online AV scanner. A virus can hide from Online scanners.

Reaction score
Now I can't view 64 from Linux, yes samba is installed and it worked just the other day. I use nod32, have been for years. running a full defender scan now

Last edited:

Shintaro

Reaction score
I wouldn't think VMware would be a problem. Besides, all it does is binding to the network interface.

It is a strange issue, because you can access files on the 64bit machine from the Linux box, I would think that my next suggestion would be to uninstall nod32 from the 64bit machine and re-boot.

Reaction score
Its not the internet security version strictly av. would that still matter? Also I just checked and I cannot access the 64 box form any other pc (or even my phone over wifi), but the 64 box can connect with all of them still. You are right about the incoming connection thing, that seems to be exactly what is going on, but I have no clue how to fix it. I will uninstall nod32 as soon as defender is done running.

Reaction score
defender didn't find anything and uninstalling nod32 didn't fix it either. This is really pissing me off. I don't want to have to reinstall everything. I wish autodesk software was compatable with linux, I would never use winblows again. Why can't a company with such vast resources make something that just works? Oh yeah they don't want it to work right, then you wouldn't have to buy the new crap when it is released.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You said this just started happening the beginning of April. Have you tried a system restore to a restore point taken in March?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Please download and run ShareEnum from sysinternals and run it from the Win 7 32bit box.

Just for the short term, give the share on the 64 bit box "Everyone" "Full Control".

Reaction score
Don't keep system restore points for more than a month and haven't had any made in a while. Only thing I've installed lately is an updated vmware. Giving "everyone" access to my shares doesn't help, besides that doesn't allow sharing of keyboard and mouse through synergy.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I read there was a Synergy Update to 1.4.17 on March 25th. By any chance did you install that update? and if so, what happens if you back it out?

Reaction score
started before the update. Installed the update in case synergy was the culprit, no go.

Shintaro

Reaction score
What happened when you ran ShareEnum? Can you post a screen capture?

Reaction score
DarrinR,

i luv Synergy! Used it for about six years.

-Have u tested ur Net cable(s)?

-Have u checked for any signs that a Network Adapter is slowly failing?

-Have u tried a new or working NIC? (maybe even a USB NIC because they are so easy to add.)

-Have u tried fully uninstalling/re-installing NIC drivers?

recently i used the url "http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/fix-internet-connection", for diagnosing my Network connections and not just internet connections like the description says.

After it seemed to fix the problem, i eventually discovered that a NIC was failing; because the problems kept returning; and i realized eventually that it (NIC) was failing slowly. Meaning only minor problems, for a long time, that i contributed to many things occurred for a long time. But i now realize the NIC may have started to fail many months ago, but only very slowly.

wat made me positive the NIC was failing was that after several full uninstalling/re-installing NIC drivers, and also tried using the newest drivers, that the NIC lost it's 1GBps speeds. and my OS only could see it as 10/100 NIC. And that is when i knew it (NIC) was bad. and it was time to replace it. i bought a "TP-LINK TG-3468" NIC (itty-bittly Low Profile PCI-E 10/100/1000 and it fits anything) and all problems are solved. :)

GL

Ask a Question