SOLVED Can I disable the following processes to save on bandwidth?

Reaction score
Using Resource Monitor I see that the following processes have constant network activity. I have very limited bandwidth available and I was wondering if the following processes are not needed can they be turned off in the startup menu or through some other process?

svchost.exe (LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation)
svchost.exe (LocalServicePeerNet)
svchost.exe (netsvcs)
svchost.exe (NetworkService)
svchost.exe (LocalServiceNetworkRestricted)

Thanks in advance for any help,
yeto

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation Allows Media Center Extenders to locate and connect to the computer. You can disable it if you don't use them/have any.

LocalServicePeerNet Provides identity services for the Peer Name Resolution Protocol (PNRP) and Peer-to-Peer Grouping services. If disabled, the Peer Name Resolution Protocol (PNRP) and Peer-to-Peer Grouping services may not function, and some applications, such as HomeGroup and Remote Assistance, may not function correctly.

netsvcs Multimedia Class Scheduler Service. Enables relative prioritization of work based on system-wide task priorities. This is intended mainly for multimedia applications. If this service is stopped, individual tasks resort to their default priority.

NetworkService - The Network Access Protection (NAP) agent service collects and manages health information for client computers on a network. Information collected by NAP agent is used to make sure that the client computer has the required software and settings. If a client computer is not compliant with health policy, it can be provided with restricted network access until its configuration is updated. Depending on the configuration of health policy, client computers might be automatically updated so that users quickly regain full network access without having to manually update their computer. I do not think you should disable this.

LocalServiceNetworkRestricted Provides support for the NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NetBT) service and NetBIOS name resolution for clients on the network, therefore enabling users to share files, print, and log on to the network. If this service is stopped, these functions might be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start. Do not disable it.

Source

Other things to look at to save bandwidth would be disabling google update, flash player update, maybe even windows update and instead run them manually

Reaction score
LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation Allows Media Center Extenders to locate and connect to the computer. You can disable it if you don't use them/have any.
Wow! First of all, thank you for taking the time to reply and provide so much valuable information. I Googled and could not find the information you provided. How do you know all this stuff? Could you provide a link to a website so that I could gain some education related to this subject?

Also, I wanted to ask what are Media Center Extenders?

Again, thank you for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In my post above, if you click on >>Source<< the link takes you to the website where I looked up all the services.

Media Center Extenders would be a way to stream movies etc to an XBox360 or similar. See >>HERE<<

Reaction score
Thank you. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
yeto

Reaction score
I think I did a boo boo. In task manager I highlighted svchost.exe (LocalServicePeerNot) > right clicked > end process tree. Did that stop all the svchost.exe files from running? How do I reverse what I have done?

Thanks,
yeto

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
"How do I reverse what I have done?" ... Reboot.

Stopping a process from Task Manager isn't permanent. What you need to do if you don't want the Service is to run Services.MSC and stop that service, then set the startup type to Manual so it doesn't start again.

Reaction score
Mission Accomplished. I could not have done this without your help. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions.

Kind regards,
yeto

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You're welcome.

I went ahead and marked this thread as solved.

Reaction score
I can't believe Digerati hasn't stepped in apposing your statement. Saying something along the lines of Microsoft know best, they wouldn't have enabled it by default if it wasn't absolutely needed. Therefor I (Digerati) would suggest you leave it enabled. Honestly I've been watching for him to step in with some kind of statement.

Reaction score
I can't believe Digerati hasn't stepped in apposing your statement. Saying something along the lines of Microsoft know best, they wouldn't have enabled it by default if it wasn't absolutely needed. Therefor I (Digerati) would suggest you leave it enabled. Honestly I've been watching for him to step in with some kind of statement.
Why would you suggest I leave it enabled? What am I missing? I need to do everything possible to save bandwidth. I use my computer 6 days/week for business and I only have 6GB bandwidth available each month.

Any helpful replies are greatly appreciated,
yeto

Reaction score
I am currently using FireFox browser with Adblock, Flashblock and Imageblock. Top priority has to be to save bandwidth as long as I don't compromise my computer. I can't afford to have unneeded programs using bandwidth.

Thanks,
yeto

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
yeto, clifford's remarks aren't for you. He isn't even saying his opinion to your situation; he is simply trying to provoke another forum member and it will not be allowed to continue.

Microsoft has lots of customers that use Windows and not all of them have the same needs; they provide a wide variety of services to meet those needs but they never said you cannot customize it to your own needs. And Digerati never said that either; the other thread was about a pagefile, not services and he backed his argument with supporting research as to why a pagefile should not be disabled; he never said you can't, just that it was a better idea not to.

So yeto, it is fine for you to disable that service if you don't need it. And clifford, you need to let your differences with Digerati go. Please state your opinions/suggestions in a positive manner to help answer the questions posed and avoid making them personal.

Reaction score
yeto, clifford's remarks aren't for you. He isn't even saying his opinion to your situation; he is simply trying to provoke another forum member and it will not be allowed to continue.

Microsoft has lots of customers that use Windows and not all of them have the same needs; they provide a wide variety of services to meet those needs but they never said you cannot customize it to your own needs. And Digerati never said that either; the other thread was about a pagefile, not services and he backed his argument with supporting research as to why a pagefile should not be disabled; he never said you can't, just that it was a better idea not to.

So yeto, it is fine for you to disable that service if you don't need it. And clifford, you need to let your differences with Digerati go. Please state your opinions/suggestions in a positive manner to help answer the questions posed and avoid making them personal.
Thank you. My system seems to be working fine with the new changes so I am going to leave everything "as is" for now.

Again, thank you for all your help. I have also learned some more "stuff" related to how computers work during this process so I thank you for that as well.

Kind regards,
yeto

Ask a Question