Camera not recognised by Windows 7

Reaction score
Hi everyone as you can tell I am new not only on this site but a bit of a novice where coms are concerned.Up to pre xmas I had Windows xp which was fine except that my son insisted that I would benefit from this upgrade! So I then aquired as a pressie Windows 7.I am in a camera class at college so know my cameras quite well.My problems is that since installing Windows 7 my cameras are not recognised anymore by my computer and I have to download my cards with a card reader which incidently I also had to change twice before it recognised the one I now use.Any advise help or anything else to correct this malfunction would be appreciated.Kind regards Chrissie x

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums chrissie :) ya cameras are pretty cool, I think your problem may be driver related. If I could ask a few questions:
1) What kind of cameras do you have?
2) How are you trying to hook them up? for example the USB?
3) Did you cameras come with set up disks?
4) How old are your cameras?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi again My cameras are LUMIX GI and a CANON IXUS 100 is
Lumix is 6 months old and Canon is 1 year old both from new.
I have put both disc in tower to download and the computer goes all through the registration but the minute I attempt to download from the camera with a usb lead supplied it says not recognised so I have to take the card from the cameras and put it thru a card reader.It works perfectly ar college where they use Apple computers and we work on Lightroom and Adobe photoshop. They the cameras worked on my old computer system which was Windows Vista and I am very tempted to take 7 off and go back to Vista.Any help would be appreciated. I know a little about computers but am in my 60's and rely on kids and grandchildren to assist when they pop in but none can help me with this problem.Thanks Chrissie

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Are the cameras powered on when you plug them into the USB port?

Does Windows 7 tell you anything when you plug in the cameras?

I know this will sound a little patronizing, but it's intent isn't in the least. I have always preferred to use card readers versus direct camera connect with USB because it saved battery power for me. Also, I didn't run the risk of my camera falling off the computer desk with it's limited space.

Have you gone to the camera maker's web sites to check on Windows 7 support?

I assume you installed the software supplied? Vista capable software WILL run on Windows 7.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well I encourage you NOT to switch back to Vista. Reinstall the drivers, must unistall them first and get the updated ones. Check to see if there are any problems with your USB ports, press Windows key + R then type "%SystemRoot%\system32\compmgmt.msc /s"
without "" and click OK.
This will open System manager. Click on Device manager on left pane, and on the right pane see if you have any exclamation or any problem with USB PORTS.

Nibiru2012 is right, I would prefer just using cards too.

Reaction score
On many forums, an extra large font as you ahe posted in is considered to be akin to SHOUTING.

Reaction score
Didnt mean to shout my eye sight is not perfect so large font is easy to read back to myself so sorry to all who assumed I was shouting.Would like to thank all the members who have given me sound advice and I will get down to trying them.Thanks again all Chrissie x

Reaction score
Hardware that Windows cannot support... Interesting :D
Really though I think it is possible to find the correct drivers keep looking :) I will check more into the issue a little later but I have a few things to finish up at work here.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
chrissie, welcome to the forums! I will try to help, this worked for me. Your camera, it did come with a program disc, I assume. Open the program, at the top, there should be options like File, Edit, Tools and Help. Select "Help" and "check for updates". There may be updated software for your program. If so, download it and see what happens. Being that your camera worked with Vista, it should work with 7. I hope you get it going soon. If you need anymore help, or if any of these solutions worked, let us know. Best wishes to you.

Ask a Question