Burning an ISO file help with windows 7

Reaction score
I have been trying to burn an ISO file converted from a dmg file. I click on dmg file or iso file and both open up with the same files. so both files are good.

Here is my problem I have tried power ISO Ashampoo and a few other programs to burn the ISO file.
All the burning done to the 7 dvds I have tried end up with a desktop.ini file burned to it. You click on the .ini file and a notepad window opens and I get this
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21815.

The Iso file will not burn to the dvd. I know something is on them as there is about 3/4 in of burn on the blue side.
I have searched the net and seems to be many problem with this but I cant find a fix.

Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit
Dell laptop runs with no problems. No virus

Any suggestions what might cause this?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are you saying the only file you see on the burned DVD is that desktop.ini ? You don't even see a .ISO file on the DVD? Change your Folder options to view hidden and or system files/folders and see if maybe then you can see more. Or if you do see a .ISO file on the DVD then the problem is that the ISO isn't being expanded. Personally I use IMGBurn to burn ISO files because I know it understands to expand the image.

Are you sure it converted to a proper ISO image?

Reaction score
Im sure it converted to a good iso file i can click on it and it will open to the files that are on the original dmg file.

Yes correct in only seeing the desktop.ini file. No ISO file but like I said something got burnt to the dvd it took about 8 min to burn and when you look at the blue side you can see the area that got burned.
I have tried poweriso, imgburn, ashampoo I converted the dmg file first to iso then burn to dvd everything goes ok. Then you go to read the dvd and all that is on there is the desktop.ini. If i go into file options and click hide hidden files you will not see the ini file on the disc and no other file on dvd.
Like I posted I have been on the net most of the day and many people have this problem but no fix or solution that I can find

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is this DMG or ISO available on the web somewhere where I could download and look at it?

Reaction score
The file is office 2011 for mac. I lost my original so I was trying to re load onto a dvd.
File is kinda big or i would email to you.
When downloaded it was a dmg file and just converted it to iso the burn to dvd. I did use it on a mac puter i was fixing for a friend and I gave him my original copy. So know I mad a backup of it on my laptop. And now I need again just cant get it to burn as a iso to dvd.

Funny when I choose the file it loads as the correct name Microsoft Office 2011 v14.0.0.iso but never shows up on the dvd.

I appreciate the replies and help

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I haven't touched a Mac in about 25 years but I'm wondering, if it is for a Mac then maybe the DVD structure is different? As you said it did burn "something" so have you actually put the DVD in the Mac to see if it can read the information?

Reaction score
I don't have a mac to try I have wasted about 12 dvds trying all different ways and programs to get this to show an iso on the dvd. Iv got plenty dvds so not worried about the coasters. Just funny I got it to work before and all the searching on the net related to this I get no fix.
People explain about the problem like me but but no one post a fix or what might be the problem

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are all the problems you find specifically related to ISOs converted from DMGs? What software did you use to convert it?

Reaction score
Well I just tried this one file I had from before the office 2011 for mac .dmg
I tried Imgburn, ultra iso, power iso, Ashampoo and window burn program win 7 ultimate 32 bit.

All have the same results the desktop.ini name on the burned dvd and there is about 3/4 of area that is burned on the blue side. But when you view the dvd there is the desktop.ini file and no iso or if i try the .dmg filenothing but the .ini name. if you click on the ini file
and a notepad window opens and I get this
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21815.

this has me all confused never had problems like this hope i can find what is causing this.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The desktop.ini file is simply a hidden file Windows creates to control how a folder gets displayed in Windows Explorer so that file is nothing really, though I don't know why it would get copied to the DVD unless it is part of the image.

If you enable "show hidden files and folders" you will probably find a lot of them on your hard drive data folders and if you delete one then that folder just gets displayed using the defaults. See if there is one in the folder with your ISO.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
"Well I just tried this one file I had from before the office 2011 for mac .dmg" ??? Do you mean you burned an old ISO or was it a DMG file? Is it strictly DMG files that you converted to ISOs that are a problem? What software are you using to convert the DMG to ISO?

Reaction score
PowerISO will convert the dmg file to ISO.

It was the original .dmg file and I converted it to the ISO. When I clicked both files both had a mirror image of the same files

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Any chance you could take it to your friends house and see what his Mac sees on the DVD? Or maybe use the free trial of MACDrive to view the DVD and see if the files are there.

You do know the office for mac programs won't work under windows, right?

Reaction score
Dont know anyone at this time to try the disc. I did get a copy of the MACDrive Pro installed made a disc I will find someone to see if they want a copy and to try in their mac.
I want to thank you for staying with me on this and letting me know about the MACDrive program.
I also read where you can make an image and add any bootable image file and add the .dmg image and make it a bootable file.

When I find some one to see if this will work I will reply back here and let you know.

thanks again Bob in Boston Ma.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
No, I meant try to look at one of the 12 DVDs through MACDrive and see if the Office for Mac files are on there.

Reaction score
Your one step ahead of me unfortunately they were in the trash yesterday I can burn another one and see if it will work.

thanks for that idea

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You do know the Office for Mac programs cannot be run on your PC right?

Reaction score
I know that I was able to load a disc dvd with the image and boot file to make it bootable. So hopefully in a few days I will find someone to try this. I think this microsoft office 2011 v 14.00 is the latest office for mac so im sure i will find someone as I said before I used this on a mac last year and installed with no problems.

thanks

Ask a Question