BSOD new comp build bad pool header and system service exception

Reaction score
Hello all,

Please help me with this as I have read numerous posts with advice on how to approach this problem but I am not sure where to start...

I build this comp with all new parts about 3 weeks ago and i get a few BSOD daily depending on how much i use it

attached are the actual BSOD saying BAD_POOL_HEADER and SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

i have windows 7 64 bit and norton antivirus (some say this can be an issue)

My build

intel core i7 4690
gigabyte z97 gaming 5 mini atx
Patriot Signature DDR3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) CL11 PC3-12800 (1600MHz) 240-Pin DDR3
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003
gigabyte nvidia gtx 760
corsair 500w power supply
coolermaster 212 hyper evo

i dunno whether it is bad RAM stick should i pull one stick and try each individually or run mem86, re-install windows/drivers. Just want to know where i should start.

Thank you so much for any help

J

Attachments

Reaction score
so i have started by uninstalling norton and installing microsoft security essentials. i changed to small 256 dump files so i can post them next time this occurs although I am unfamiliar with this it seems to be the next step. Also of note all drivers are up to date to the best of my knowledge from the manufactuer's sites.

thank you again for any help/advice

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Since it is a new computer there is always the chance your RAM is bad. There is a good percentage of RAM that is bad straight from the manufacturer. So I suggest you run Memtest86+ for 6 to 10 passes (normally overnight). If you see any red in the results then there is an issue with the RAM or settings (but your settings looking correct to me).

Reaction score
i ended up just buying new ram hyperx fury 2x4g as this seems the most likely hardware culprit and took everything apart and rebuilt. also i had mixed two types of thermal paste when i installed the coolermaster cpu fan which apparently is a big no no. cleaned with a razer and alcohol pads and reapplied single brand. after rebuild with new ram so far so good running 5 hours. if anymore bsod will repost. fingers crossed

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So now you have more new RAM. I would still encourage you to run Memtest86+ on these new sticks; it is just way too common to get a bad one.

Ask a Question