SOLVED BSOD after Patch Tuesday updates

Reaction score
Just got this BSOD. Patch Tuesday updates (4) were installed @1:30 P.M. E.S.T. Roughly 5 hours ago. New 1200 watt modular psu was installed this morning aroung 10:30 A.M. I also installed Crysis and software for my Logitech Dual Action gamepad yesterday. I installed all the updates for Crysis from EA's ftp site last night. The L.D.A. gamepad is a 2005 era one. Not a newer one. According to MSI Live Update mobo drivers are all updated. Raxco PerfectUpdater also, say's all driver's are up to date.

Attachments

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I hope you get this one figured out.

You have stated the MS Windows Updates caused the BSOD. Are you sure?

I had 10 updates today, 4 Windows plus 6 MS Office. No problems here.

Reaction score
Unsure of that, but they were the last thing installed before the bsod. I've got Office 2007 Home & Student. No updates were listed for it. Which updates were for it ? The Windows updates I got were kb2617657, kb2588516, kb2620704 and the Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you have it set to treat recommended updates the same as critical updates then it is possible to get driver updates and it's rare but not unheard of to get a driver that is incorrect for your build.

But updates can be uninstalled so do a rollback and see if it resolves your problem. If it does then manually update doing only one at a time and rebooting after each to see if the issue returns.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Unsure of that, but they were the last thing installed before the bsod. I've got Office 2007 Home & Student. No updates were listed for it. Which updates were for it ? The Windows updates I got were kb2617657, kb2588516, kb2620704 and the Malicious Software Removal Tool.
The three updates were the only ones. (installed without problems). The others Nibiru mentions were for Office 2010. Fwiw, also installed correctly.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Hi brkkab123.

STOP 0x0000003B: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Usual causes:
System service, Device driver, graphics driver, ?memory

Your dump file lists as the probable cause, most unlikely.

You've a couple of old/outdated drivers.

jraid.sys Thu Nov 25 03:27:17 2010 JMicron Raid Driver June '11

ElRawDsk.sys Sat Jul 26 18:59:09 2008 RawDisk Driver by EldoS Corporation.

Rt64win7.sys Fri Jun 10 07:33:15 2011 Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller v7.048 If you're unsure about manually installing drivers then choose the Win7 and WinServer 2008 R2 Auto Installation Program (SID:1469821) option to download.

Best advice would be to do as per TM, install them one at a time, with a breather in between them.

Reaction score
T.M. Have it set to only install driver's not found on my pc. I check for them M-F and save all of them in a Drivers>Manufacture Name>Device inside the Downloads folder. Elmer: What's EIRawDisk ? When I went to the link, it's showing that it's for pay and you need a key for it apparently.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
I'm wondering if that ElRawDsk came as an "add-on" to something else that you have installed, even if as a temporary trial.

If you know nothing about it you could try renaming it by changing the extension. This will prevent it from loading and also "break" anything that may require it. Obviously create a back-up/restore point before doing this, just in case. After say, a week, if everything is running tickety boo then you can get rid of it.

I've only come across that driver possibly two or three times before. On those occasions there was exactly the same response as you gave, so I'm none the wiser!! A quick read looks like its to do with encryption etc. etc..

Apart from anything else the page layout just shouts xp to me!! :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't currently have any trial software installed.I had at different times early last week a trial of Eset Smart Security. It was removed per their instructions. I also used Search Everything to remove any of it's left overs. I also made sure it was gone from the various registry software keys. I then tried a trial of Bitdefender Internet Security 2012, It was removed with Bitdefenders Removal Tool, Search Everything, Registry software key's. I also ran Autoruns after removing both and CCleaner's Registry Cleaner.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There are dozens of informative links to elrawdsk.sys. Worst case, and common, seems to be that several viruses assume this name on your OS.

Reaction score
Renamed EIRawDisk.sys to EIRawDisk.bak . No more bsod's in 24 hrs. Therefore I assume it's solved.

Reaction score
Kept getting BSOD right after a login. "REGISTRY_ERROR 51"
Recovery boot worked ok, but normal not.

Restored back 2 days, excluding a bunch of Office updates, and 3 security updates, including KB2588516.

And now my system is working again. Win7 64bit SP1.

I didn't test all the updates (too time consuming right now), but I guess I have to install the updates 1-by-1 at some point.

Ask a Question