Blank/Faint Screen

Reaction score
I hope someone has some info on my issue. I believe it might be the backlight but I am not 100%. We just got an HP G72-262NR (about a month or so) and it works fine most of the time, but it has happened twice that when we turn the computer on it has a very dark screen. It is similar to being in a dark room. I can barely make out anything but the screen is not totally gone if I manage to maneuver it just the right way. I don't think that its overheating bc it doesnt matter how long the computer has been off, and it hasnt happened when anyone was on it; only when it has been turned on after non-use. Pls help!!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would definitely see how long it has been and make sure you don't miss any return or warranty deadlines. I don't know what would be causing your issues but I wouldn't take any chances with a major purchase; I would return it to the store if it's not too late and if it is then contact the manufacturer. If it's bad you get it replaced on their dime.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The CCFL tubes are not working properly or their contacts are faulty. (CCFL - cold cathode florescent tubes).

TAKE IT BACK right away and get another unit! Something is wrong in the lid where the tubes are making their electrical connections and causing the faint / blackscreen. I have seen this happen on a few laptops when the tube burn out after several years and need replacement.

Reaction score
I was actually hoping it was something to do with the computer and not something that may have been downloaded on to it causing it to act weird. This computer has been babied bc we already have 2 other crappy comps and dont need another one. Thanks!!!!!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Good! Keep us posted and let us know how it all works out for you!
~Nibs

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
My guess is it is the inverter but either way, since it is only 2 months old, take it back.

Ask a Question