Bios screen image size change & Windows start up screen

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score

#1 Represents the desktop.
#2 Represents the bios start up as it was.
#3 Represents the bios start up as it is now.

I don't know what's happened but it looks like the bios start up has re-sized to 1024 x 768, whereas before it was stretched to fill the 1280 x 768 screen.
I'm not bothered about this but I've just realised the size changed at or about the same time as my Windows 7 animated glow-worms to flag start up screen changed itself to the Vista scrolling bar start up screen.

Is there a setting in the bios that could re-set this? I only enter the bios to change the start up order so I'm not really conversant with it (I must learn!!).

The registry settings that I've seen to correct this (Windows 7) start up screen error are set as they should be.

TIA.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Nothing in BIOS I can think of, this would have to do with your video card drivers and monitor. If you have Vista boot-up I'm thinking you befuddled wid it till it twas broke. Checkpoint restore maybe?

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
If you have Vista boot-up I'm thinking you befuddled wid it till it twas broke.
Methinks thou doest know me far too well!!

Well this site is bloody brilliant. I mention a problem and there it is, nearly fixed!!

I had a look through the bios and (as expected) found nothing. While there I changed my start up order of main HDD and DVD Drive (main HDD now first) Did a Disk CleanUp and ran CCleaner.

Next re-start the "proper" Windows 7 start-up screen was back :D!! Bios screen still looks like its 1024 x 764 though :dontknow:.

Reaction score
It wouldn't have anything to do with the video card driver since it is only first loaded well into the booting session, much later then when the bios screen is active.

Since it has happened at the same time as the Vista loadup instead, you might find success by fixing that.

Open an elevated command prompt. Then copy paste this command and press enter:

Code:
bcdedit /set {current} locale en-US
Reboot. If still the same, then try this command:
Code:
bcdboot %WinDir% /l en-US

EDIT - Just noticed that you said the boot was fixed. You can use this post if you ever run into the problem again. It happens when you edit the bcd and the locale entry is not set right...or when you do a startup repair with Vista DVD.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
TorrentG, he isn't en-US, he's a bloody Brit! :D

Reaction score
lol yeah I saw that and was looking for the UK symbol to put instead. After a moment or two of not finding the exact one, I figured since it's all English it doesn't matter much. (Hope it's true! haha)

Perhaps it's simply en-UK? hrrrrmmm
Or even en-GB?

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
lol yeah I saw that and was looking for the UK symbol to put instead. After a moment or two of not finding the exact one, I figured since it's all English it doesn't matter much.(Hope it's true! haha)
:eek: :mad:
Perhaps it's simply en-UK? hrrrrmmm
Or even en-GB?
We Brits don't get a language option!! :rolleyes:
I'm taking up Somali at night school. :D

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you don't get a British language option them how do you adjust your "colour"? :lol:

Last edited:

Ask a Question