Backup frequency

Reaction score
If you use the PC the way I do, never. Others may disagree, but I am comfortable with my methods.

I install the OS then install all my applications. Afterward I update through windows update. Once finished I will then create a system image. If I update the image, it will only be after restoring the backup. That way I know the image will be fresh. I don't feel comfortable creating an image of a system that has a long run time.

Oh and if you are wondering I don't keep personal files on the system partition. All my personal files are stored and back up separately. Managing my OS and data is easier for me this way. And if you ask about data backup frequency, I will say that depends on the type of data. Data that never changes will only need to be backed up once. Data that changes frequently is the only files that need frequent backup schedules.

Reaction score
Thank you Clifford. I made an image prematurely (of a fresh install) but was able to delete it. I now have everything updated and all programs I want and will create a new image. Would it be a good idea to do this monthly as long as everything is working well?

Reaction score
Would it be a good idea to do this monthly as long as everything is working well?
The answer to that question would be personal opinion, that is likely to change with everyone responding. I always like keeping my system images as fresh as possible, meaning only one in the beginning. While the next fellow might make an updated image every week.

Reaction score
The answer to that question would be personal opinion, that is likely to change with everyone responding. I always like keeping my system images as fresh as possible, meaning only one in the beginning. While the next fellow might make an updated image every week.
Thank you Clifford. Have a great day :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I see a difference between an image and a backup. I agree with Clifford that a nice fresh install of the OS & all my programs is a perfect time to take an image and keep it. Then I backup my data about once a month. So I have one image for my system and a separate backup of my data.

You could even keep several backups to allow various iterations of the same documents, for example if I needed to see my resume from last year's backup to compare to this year's. But still I would only need the one system image for all that time.

Ask a Question