Back Up just won't work at all

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Support' started by Peter Morton, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Peter Morton

Peter Morton

upgraded from Vista and everything works well - except for Backup.

On the first screen it asks you to "Set up backup".

Clicking on that button does precisely nothing!

Nor does the button 'Select another backup to restore files from".

I've tried everything I can think of. There must be something simple I've missed.

I did a system restore to take me back to the first installation/upgrade to 7, but that did nothing either.

* I have since discovered a small permanent flag on the task bar which says 'backup in progress' even though nothing is happening. It seems to be impossible to get rid of it or turn it off. The 'activity center' also shows a backup is in progress which is also nonsense.

Can anyone help?

Peter Morton
    Peter Morton, Nov 14, 2009
  2. Peter Morton

Ian Administrator

Welcome to the site Peter :)

Now that some time has passed since posting this, has any backup occured or at least the initial filename been created?

Are you trying to backup an image of your entire drive or just select files?
    Ian, Nov 15, 2009
  3. Peter Morton

Peter Morton

It's still not working. In desperation I did a complete new download (digitally) of Win 7 but it's much the same. Although the message to change to the new backup system seems to have vanished, most buttons still no nothing, eg the 'view details' button.

There is some operation but it's highly erratic: eg it seems to start a backup but eventually an error message appears after hours and hours. I have never managed to complete a backup either of files or of the system.

Everything else in the system works perfectly and the drive I"m backing up to is fully accessible and writeable & has 72GB free. Backup to it worked perfectly under Vista.

The main panel says last backup 'never' and the buttons ' change settings' and 'manage space' do nothing at all.

I see many people are having problems with it and there is a lot of technical stuff about Win 7 backup on the net including very complex supposed 'fixes' which I don't fully understand.
    Peter Morton, Nov 16, 2009