At my wits end, errors 651 and 797

Reaction score
Yesterday my internet connection just stopped. No reason whatsoever. The weird part was that the modem and router were working fine on every other device but mine. So I attempted to find the problem, not the cord, not the connection, nothing, the modem didn't even register that it was connected to my computer (wired). At this time I was recieving an error code 651. Upon looking it up I found solutions and tried all of them. The last one where you replace the current raspppoe.sys file with a vista file of the same name did something, but it didn't fix it. I now receive an error 797 code, and I am being told that there is a problem with my router driver. Upon looking up how to fix a 797 code I am not really sure what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just want my internet to function again.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, replacing OS files with older files is rarely ever a good idea and should be a last resort (and always take a restore point first).

From an command prompt run:
SFC /SCANNOW
It will likely have you reboot.

If "raspppoe.sys" is considered a system protected file then System File Checker (SFC) should restore it, but I'm never really sure which files are included on that list so if SFC doesn't fix it then hopefully you can manually restore the W7 version.

Now on to the most likely causes...
A virus is always a possibility. I really doubt it but running a complete scan with your A/V software is a good idea just to rule it out.

Most likely cause:
Do you have Windows Updates set for automatic updating? And do you use the default setting of "treat recommended updates the same as critical updates"?

Driver updates can be included as "recommended" updates and if you use the defaults then they will be included when windows updates are automatically installed. Unfortunately driver updates aren't always perfect and you can get a poorly written driver or quite simply a driver that was not meant for your device. In your situation this would most likely be the LAN driver for your wired port (wireless drivers are separate and you said your connection is wired).

Go to Control Panel > Device Manager. Expand the Network Adapters. And double-click on the one for your wired connection. In the Properties window select the Driver Tab. Is the Rollback Driver button available? If so click it. Now reboot and see if it is working.

If that works then you will want to prevent Windows Update from running again and putting the wrong driver back. To do that, run Windows Updates manually. Click Check for Updates. Then select the optional updates. Find the driver and right-click. Choose Hide Update.
WinUpdt-HideOptions.jpg

If you never want drivers to be installed automatically you can disable that in your update settings. But if you do then you should manually run Windows Updates every couple months and decide whether there are any Recommended updates you do want.
WinUpdt-Settings4Recommended.jpg

Reaction score
Hi Trainable Man,
I am aware that changing system files is a bad idea and it was the absolute last thing I tried. I ended up contacting the people who put my computer together and they suggested that I reapply my motherboard install disk. I am by no means a computer expert but to my knowledge the motherboard has nothing to do with signal uptake but for whatever reason it worked. I clicked repair and it suddenly worked.
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my problem, I was truly at a loss and it was very kind of you.

Best,
Knytshade

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Your wired LAN connection is part of the motherboard so reinstalling your MOBO drivers does make sense to fix the problem. You reinstalled it from the disk where my idea was to simply rollback to it, but the effect is the same.

However, if I am correct and the driver was incorrectly updated by Windows Update, then the problem will return. Because Windows Update will reinstall what it thinks is a newer driver the next time it runs again. So you should still run Windows Update manually, check the optional updates, and Hide the update to your LAN driver.

Shintaro

Reaction score
It might help if we knew your hardware so please:

Download CPU-Z and run it.
  • Go to the "About" tab
  • Click on "Save Report (.TXT) and save it to your desktop.
  • Upload the text file to the forum.

Also what kind of modem? DSL? Cable? Model number? Brand?

Ask a Question