Animated boot screens for Windows 7?

Reaction score
Is there a way to add your own animated boot screen to Windows 7 startup? I know it was possible to change the picture on older versions, but this was only a static image.

Reaction score
1) get your own code signing certificate($75)
2) find the program unsigner.zip
3) locate the file bootres.dll
4) using unsigner take the code sign out of the file
5) using reshack extract activity from RC_Data/1 into a wim file
6) mount that wim file with WAIK
7)put what you want into the activity file (105 pics(20pxX20px))
8)unmount the image
9) now put the modified 1 file in in the bootres file into the bootres.dll file using reshack
10 resign the file and test on VMware
John

Reaction score
No

To the best of my knowledge MS made it non changable sorry to mislead you:eek::lol:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
The question I have is: Why? The boot screen lasts only a few seconds at maximum.

I like new and interesting looks too, I use a logon screen changer program for my logon / logoff screen, but that's about it.

In all my searches in the past, I never seen an option to have an animated boot screen.

Good Luck in your search though.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
On a system using SSD Drives the boot screen lasts something like 1. whatever of a second so not much point in changing it, but have a look Here I have not experimented with this so I cant say if Tuneup will work.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Why climb a mountain? ... Because it's there!

I, too, have searched for such an option but all I found is the ability to change the logon screen.

Reaction score
It seems to be that unicorn that everybody wants to do is create an animation of their own. I have seen it done with the Windows 7 RC's but not the final. There must be a byte that doesn't allow it to happen. MS has said that it would make Windows 7 more vunerable(sp?) to virus attack. This seems to be a trite reason.

It would sure be nice to completely redesign the desktop, but I don't make those rules.

John

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Why climb a mountain? ... Because it's there!
Exakerterly!!
I, too, have searched for such an option but all I found is the ability to change the logon screen.
I'm looking for the "glowing progress bar" that isn't a progress bar, you know, the one you see when you do a fresh install on the (I think) Windows is configuring your set-up screen? Right at the end of set up? I like that more than the dancing ball/flag assembly image, so I'd like to get that into my bootscreen. Just...... BECAUSE!!
Remember, if it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it is!! (I feel a new sig. coming on!!)

Reaction score
Is the background of the bootscreen in the ntoskrnl.exe file? John

Reaction score
Is there a way to add your own animated boot screen to Windows 7 startup? I know it was possible to change the picture on older versions, but this was only a static image.

Hi Bern, if you want to add any wallpaper/personal created wallpaper/pictures on to the log on screen then yes its possible with Windows7 Logon Manager... its that simple it also give you the options to select wallpaper & pictures from your HDD & also there is simple preview so that you know how it looks....:D

Reaction score
It Exists

If anyone's still looking for a way to change the boot animation, there's a nifty program:

http://www.coderforlife.com/projects/win7boot/

Note that it turns off checks for DLL signing (by switching to "test" mode), so if you're really super-worried about Windows's security (like MS seems to be with their "reasons" for not allowing this in the first place), keep a good AV program around.

But, yeah, it works. The site tells you, but I'll mention it here:

To make a custom animation, it must be a 24-bit BMP containing a vertical strip of your animation (105 frames, 200x200px each, so a total size of 200x21000px). The program says it can use individual frame files and combine them, but it doesn't seem to work well with that (producing only a black image), so I suggest making your own BMP strip.

Here's the method I've been using to create my own animations:

1) I load up Adobe AfterEffects and create a new comp, 200x200, 15fps, 7 seconds long.

2) I create my animation as desired, making sure the last 3 seconds loop well.

3) I export as a PNG sequence.

4a) I load the PNG sequence into Game Maker 8 (the free version will work just fine for this; can be downloaded at yoyogames.com) as a sprite. GM will save animation strips, but only horizontally and as PNG, so we need to do some workarounds here.

4b) In the GM sprite editor, I rotate all the frames 90 degrees counter-clockwise. Then I export the image as a strip with File->Save as PNG.

5) I load the horizontal strip into MS Paint, rotate the entire image back 90 degrees clockwise, and save as a 24-bit BMP.

Done. :)

There are some considerations to keep track of:

1) The animation must be 200x200, so if you want a different aspect ratio (like widescreen, 16:9), you simply change the height to 200/A (where A is the aspect ratio) and then letterbox it to 200x200.

2) The framerate can be whatever you want while making the animation (as long as it's 105 frames and the last 45 frames loop), but since it'll be played back at 15fps, it's best to keep it that way during creation.

-IMP ;) :)

Reaction score
still searching for that win7 bootscreen

Exakerterly!! I'm looking for the "glowing progress bar" that isn't a progress bar, you know, the one you see when you do a fresh install on the (I think) Windows is configuring your set-up screen? Right at the end of set up? I like that more than the dancing ball/flag assembly image, so I'd like to get that into my bootscreen. Just...... BECAUSE!!
Remember, if it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it is!! (I feel a new sig. coming on!!)

ending up in here looking for a tutorial on how to change that win7 bootscreen, had anyone figured out how or where to find that bootscreent our friend Elmer BeFuddled here is talking of.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This has been figured out now, but still surprisingly unpublicized.
It's easy to do with tools, but comes with certain risks (as does editing anything boot-related.)
Proceed at your own risk. These are 2 YouTube tutorials.
(in case links are removed, v=3Y3ypvlM0LE and v=vRoPoHQi1wk).
Now I need to find the right animation... :)

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]3Y3ypvlM0LE[/MEDIA]"]YouTube - Change Windows 7 boot Animation 2[/ame]

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]vRoPoHQi1wk[/MEDIA]"]YouTube - Change Windows 7 boot Animation (Updated Read Description!)[/ame]

Hope this helps some of you!

Reaction score
Winows 7 boot screen changr

http://www.coderforlife.com/projects/win7boot/

worked for me. I used http://www.intowindows.com/7-fantastic-windows-7-themes/ windowsn8 themel, changed the boot screen to a cool windows logo, then it fades away like fireworksm, and showes a coloeful 8, and the arora waves, and the waves loops. you can tel it it play 1-40 frames, then use 41-105 looping... nMAKE SURE YOU GET 32 OR 64 BIT! GETTING THE WRONG WONE MESSES UP THE COMPUTER!!!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Not being sarcastic or anything like that, but I thought that the goal when booting is to get to your home screen ASAP. Why bother with watching animation during startup? It's only draining resources, preventing your computer from starting up as fast as it should.

There's plenty of animation on You Tube, Hulu, and similar sites to watch.

But I guess if one wants to watch animation during booting, to each his/her own.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Cat this is to replace the rotating colors that become the windows logo; you are going to see an animation on boot-up, some people would just prefer it be different.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I understand, it just seems that the more you add on, the longer the startup time (not having done that, I don't know positively). If I had a choice, I'd dump that screen altogether and go straight to the logon screen.

That would be a great choice to have.

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Totally with you Cat. What on earth is thge purpose in enhancing the tedious Startup/login.

Ask a Question