All desktop icons are IE!

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

First time ive posted so here goes:

A while ago I tried to open football manager 2010 which was having some problems- it said 'what would you like to use to open this file', or something along those lines anyways, and so i used Internet Explorer. However, this did not open it, which i thought might happen, but at the same time changed ALL my icons to IE. Now, I cannot open any applications on the computer- mozilla firefox (the only way i can open it is google desktop icon which has somehow survived), spotify, windows movie maker, etc etc.

ive looked on other forums, but found answers to windows vista but im on windows 7. Does anybody have a solution to this problem. I am not good at coding at all, so if you do know how to fix this, can you put it as simply as possible so i can work through the solution.

Thanks to anybody who can help or has a go :D

gr8jonny6

Reaction score
thanks
im currently at work, and the problem is on my laptop at home, so i'll reply later with how i got on- lets hope for the best :S

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good luck! I hope that does the trick, if not just let us know what the file extensions are and we can come up with something else.

Reaction score
doesnt work- all the things it says to do are already in place.

could it be a virus?

Reaction score
Hi gr8jonny6 - Welcome to w7forums

I hate suggesting this as I am sure there is a fix. Have you considered a system restore point for a solution to a time before this occurred.

Reaction score
restore system worked.
had spotify which hadnt restored due to it being installed after the restor date, but i just went back and reinstalled.
thanks both of you for your help, but i do agree clifford, it would have been nice to find out what had actually happened!

thanks once again to you both
:)

Ask a Question