SOLVED After restoring to factory state it says my PC is not compatible to get Windows 10

Reaction score
Before i restored i had the Windows icon in my notification area at the bottom of my screen. I had reserved my copy. I had been having troubles with my PC so i did a restore to factory state. I have a HP Compaq Model # CQ5521F running Windows 7 Home Premium. Before restore it said there was something wrong with my NVIDIA driver. Apparently restoring & updating fixed that. But i notice there still may be a problem with that driver as my display will shut off without warning & then come back on. The msg. that came up was: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version 186.55 stopped responding & has successfully recovered. Then it told me i needed Windows Service Pack 1...i have it. I have checked the qualifications for getting Windows 10 & i meet them. I still couldn't get the icon back & i still can't get Windows 10. I have tried everything & now i have no where to turn. Please help????

Reaction score
In addition to having SP1 installed, you need all the w7 updates installed; it won't trigger the upgrade app until you do. And the upgrade app you're looking for is Update for Windows 7 (KB3035583).

Reaction score
In addition to having SP1 installed, you need all the w7 updates installed; it won't trigger the upgrade app until you do. And the upgrade app you're looking for is Update for Windows 7 (KB3035583).
Hi..thanks for answering my question & yes, i am still installing updates...seems there's some there every day. This morning i looked & the one you mentioned is downloading now. Hopefully this will solve the problem. I will let you know how i make out when these updates are finished.

Reaction score
Glad to help. If and when it asks you to reboot and when you do, the Win10 icon show up in your taskbar, click it to sign in, then you're good to go.

But, between us girls, I've tried W10 about four times and have restored my W7 backup every time. To me, W10 doesn't add anything new and wonderful, uses more memory, looks pretty cheezy.

Reaction score
Glad to help. If and when it asks you to reboot and when you do, the Win10 icon show up in your taskbar, click it to sign in, then you're good to go.

But, between us girls, I've tried W10 about four times and have restored my W7 backup every time. To me, W10 doesn't add anything new and wonderful, uses more memory, looks pretty cheezy.
OK, i have the windows icon back but when i reserved it (again, i also did before the restore) this is what came up:

Then today i recieved an email from them which said: Congratulations on reserving your free upgrade to Windows 10. When Windows 10 is ready for your device, it will download in the background. You’ll then get a notification in the coming days or weeks, to schedule your upgrade right away or at another time that is convenient for you.
Now i don't know if my PC is compatible or not anymore. It's all so confusing. I am listening to what you said about it not being all it's cracked up to be. Do i really want to go ahead & change now?? Would it just be simpler to leave things as they are. I am sort of leaning toward leaving things as they are. The last thing i need is more problems. I want to thank you so very much for you help & info.

Reaction score
You're very welcome. What I did was bypass the invisible upgrade.

Uninstalled that W10 update as mentioned.
Downloaded an ISO file and burned to a dvd.
Made a backup of my entire C drive.
Started Windows 7 and inserted that W10 dvd.
Chose install, update, wait, wait, wait.

That way it kept all my existing drivers and apps intact -- that might get you around your problem. Finally, after futzing around with W10 and concluding that it's no better, maybe even worse, I reloaded that W7 backup and made things like they never happened. And I confess that I've tried that about five times, so far.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You may find the driver you need in this thread on our sister site.

http://www.windows10forums.com/thre...force-go-7300-can-it-be-sorted.832/#post-4929
Hi all, I have a solution... I've pulled NVIDIA's 307.68 driver that is available on Windows Update for Windows 8.x. It is compatible with the Geforce 7300 Go and Windows 10.

Here's the download link for the 307.68 drivers that I've promised.
Zip archive. Extract. Run setup.exe. ... enjoy ;)
https://mega.nz/#!ywIAVLaK!zqrBfjU9KD6AjJAuFB-IGM_uAxlMNE2vdBLM1GMSuxs
According to MetaMorphy in a later comment the driver also works with 6000 series Go graphics.
Thank you so much! This worked for my 6800 Go too, you're life saver. I could not get any driver to work properly with Windows 10 until now
If you have a desktop, upgrading your graphics could be an option.

Reaction score
Reaction score
You're very welcome. What I did was bypass the invisible upgrade.

Uninstalled that W10 update as mentioned.
Downloaded an ISO file and burned to a dvd.
Made a backup of my entire C drive.
Started Windows 7 and inserted that W10 dvd.
Chose install, update, wait, wait, wait.

That way it kept all my existing drivers and apps intact -- that might get you around your problem. Finally, after futzing around with W10 and concluding that it's no better, maybe even worse, I reloaded that W7 backup and made things like they never happened. And I confess that I've tried that about five times, so far.
You are full of great ideas but you lost me at uninstall the W10 update, then downloading an ISO file....i do know how to burn to a dvd. LOL! if you wouldn't mind on a detailed step by step to get me thru that, i would love to put the upgrade on a disc for future use. It's ok if you don't want to as i have no idea how long it would take to explain it :)

Reaction score
That link goes to: Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool.

In there, with said tool, you can make the ISO file. Then with something like Free ISO Burner, burn it.

Then with Win7 running normally, insert the W10 dvd you just made, launch setup. It'll eventually offer the option to update your existing setup.

I did all that a while back so can't remember the details of the steps, but if I can figure it out, you definitely can. How-To Geek has some other W10 tips too.

Last edited:

Ask a Question