Add "Select All" to right click context menu

Reaction score
This guide will show you how to add a "select all" option to windows 7's rightclick menu first open up note pad and paste this into it..

WScript.CreateObject(“WScript.Shell”).SendKeys “^a”

And save it as " SelectAll.vbs " (No quotation marks) in youe WINDOWS directory.
Now open up a new file and paste this into it..

ECHO WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell").SendKeys "^a" > %windir%\SelectAll.vbs
REG ADD "HKCR\Directory\Background\shell\Select All" /v "Position" /d "Top" /f
REG ADD "HKCR\Directory\Background\shell\Select All\Command" /d "wscript %windir%\SelectAll.vbs" /f

And save it as " Add Select All Option.bat " (No quotation marks) where ever you want..
Now open " Add Select All Option.bat " and it should now give you a select all option in your right click menu..

Un-installation...

If for whatever reason you don't want the option any more there is an easy fix. Yet again open up notepad and paste this into it..

DEL %windir%\SelectAll.vbs
REG DELETE "HKCR\Directory\Background\shell\Select All" /f

And save it as " Undo.bat ", Then run it.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Interesting, succinct script.

How hard would it be to write a script to capture the center mouse-click (under the scroll wheel) and have it perform a double-click? Logitech no longer provides drivers for my old trackball and W7 doesn't offer a method for me to configure it. I have actually found out it isn't ignored though because IE8 (and Firefox) have provided it with functionality I have no use for, I prefer it works as a dbl-click.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Interesting post, to say the least.

I'll just stick with using the Edit drop down menu from the Menu bar.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
LeHaM I so owe you! :tee: :beer:

This has been my biggest annoyance since I installed W7 a few months ago. The first one you listed didn't work when I installed it and the third one, which looks to be her update to the first, gives me a bad link 404 but the second one .... YES ! YES!! YES!!! :party:
Thank you! :elefant: Thank you!
:cool: :top:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Hey I can live with the new start menu and I can deal with the new windows explorer but I have been ranting about my middle mouse button since the day I installed so for me this is wonderful.

Wasn't it a beer commercial here in the USA that made the saying famous, "I luv ya man!", well LeHaM, I luv ya man (In a manly not at all wierd, God wants us to love all our brothers sort of way).

As for the start menu I have found a few substitutes to be like Classic, tried one I didn't like and have another I may try but to date I'm still using the new W7 start menu (which was really originally introduced and rejected in Win XP).

And as for Windows Explorer I have KatMouse running to make the scrolling function based on where my mouse is so I don't have to click in the left or right first, which was a stupid change. And I removed Favorites and libraries with a reghack so except for the Desktop and the TrainableMan ( %USERPROFILE%) entries and the organize toolbar up top this is familiar - yes this I can work with.

Windows 7 is now a very comfortable home :D

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
And as for Windows Explorer I have KatMouse running to make the scrolling function based on where my mouse is so I don't have to click in the left or right first, which was a stupid change.
I use WizMouse and like it very well.

Ask a Question