9 Windows 7 features that have disappeared in Windows 8

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The W8 WMP is a downgrade rather than an upgrade ... "Windows Media Player will continue to be available in all editions, but without DVD playback support".

Except for the start menu, the dang ugly ribbon in "file" explorer, and no DVD support in WMP I see no loss for me ... but no gain either.

Reaction score
I really, really love how MS is pullingfeatures out of 7 in the last year. First we'll state gadgets as a security risk, then we'll kill our site for getting them (after already dwindling said pages down to one page). Then we'll slowly take Internet Tv feature's out of WMC. Then as of the 20th they killed of Internet TV altogether. I believe Windows 9 or whatever they call it won't have WMC and no pc games . It'll all be toned down to Xbox console standard's The real reason they dropped the Metro name for the UI in 8 is to try to fool more people into buying it. That name change so late in the game is idiotic. All they needed to do was put 7's start menu back on the Desktop UI and everyone would be happy There's also a few other thing's they're eventually realize they need to change in 8 fast. #1 CheckDisk. I'm sorry I just don't buy a 5 second CheckDisk run is doing a thorough scan oof either of my 1.0 TB hard drives or my 120 GB. ssd. #2. They need to put back in the recovery window a way to get into Safe Mode for running virus/spyware scan's. P.S. The love part was a huge lie.

Reaction score
The real reason they dropped the Metro name for the UI in 8 is to try to fool more people into buying it. That name change so late in the game is idiotic.
The name change so late in the game was a result of a controversial issue.

Microsoft Renames Metro Apps To Windows Store Apps
Microsoft ran into a little problem last month when they realized that the Metro name was already owned by a store in Germany. The company had been using the Metro branding for over a year to sell Windows 8 and they were suddenly left without an identity. In the interim, Microsoft said developers should just call it the “Windows 8 style UI.” As of today, they have finally decided on a name.

Reaction score
That may be a small part of it, Clifford. However, I really beleive it's more on the side of atleast 75 - 85 % of the people that have tried 8 on anything non-touch capable have oretty much complained about Metro. Especially considering there's no start menu in the Desktop UI and also that alot of thing's people are used to using on a daily basis are hidden. Here's a perfect example, if you have Windows Media Center installed and open up either C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86), you won't see it. You'll see Windows Media Player. The only way you'll find Windows Media Center is by doing a (Metro)/Windows 8 UI search for Windows Media Player. After about 1 minute, it appear's in the list. That's just idiotic, especially considering that most people are either going to use a non-tock notebook or desktop p.c. That's especially true if the Surface with Windows RT latest rmors turn out to be true and they price it $600.00 I'm sorry, but nobody will truly want to get it at that price, considering the non-Windows tablet's are more affordable and can use more softwareI mean a RT tablet is like a Gremlin or Pinto while a Windows 8 Pro tablet is like a Lincoln or Cadillac. I won't say a Porshe, Ferrari, Rolls Royce, etc. That's going to 7. 7, I'll bet become's the new XP and 8/RT Vista (usable yes but still unfamiliar to the majority, plus rough around the edges in certain area's. Namely productivity. How many businesse's are really going to want to switch from being able to have 8+ app's open to only being able to have 2 open on screen at one time.
Another really, really stupid thing if you have 8 installed and any previous version of Windows installed as a dual-boot setup. If 8 is the default boot o.s., you lose the ability to be able to get into safe mode during boot-up of the other o.s. Msconfig doesn't get you into the true safe mode. Then if you make the old Windows the default boot o.s., then you lose 8's actual best feature.the factory/initial install/setup restore.
Also, the Windows/Microsoft account at login, is going to turn out to be the biggest security risk. Especially, considering the newer form's of malware appearing recently, that majority of security software can't detect.
Us regular forum meber's that know a few thing's about pc's may not have problem's with all these thing's. However 85 % of user's don't even know how to or that they need to update their software, use malware software, a firewall or do routine pc maintenace

Last edited:

Ask a Question