5.1 surround sound, with only front left, front right making sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I recently got a new computer (windows 7 home premium 64 bit), after using my old one where the full 5.1 surround sound would be heard (subwoofer, center speaker, rear left, rear right all worked). The motherboard is ASROCK P67 PRO3 SE, and has all the color coded inputs for surround sound 5.1. On manage audio devices, configuring my speaker setup I tried test and only the front left and front right speakers make noise. Any idea why the remaining 4 speakers are not working? They are all plugged in correctly.

Also, if I put volume on max and put no sound in the speakers, I can hear a static-y sound from each speaker if I put my ear close to it, meaning all of them for sure have sound

None of the speakers are muted, by the way

Last edited:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
meaning all of them for sure have sound
No, that is not what that means. That just means your amplifiers are amplifying "noise" - as would be expected.

I cannot explain why, but on several occasions where folks had surround sound problems, including me on this Gigabyte motherboard, I had to enable 7.1 sound in my Realtek HD Audio Manager, then disable the side pair. Then I got full 5.1 audio.

This, of course, assumes your sound device drivers have been properly installed and the device is enabled in the BIOS (I am assuming it is enabled since you have audio from the front speakers).

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
could be an outdated driver for the motherboard
Please note the dates of the previous posts. This thread has been dormant for almost 3 months and the OP has never returned.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Just didn't want you wasting your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question