32bit vs 64 bit drivers

Reaction score
I am trying to establish a connection from my laptop which has windows 7 with 64 bit and my desktop printer which is running windows Vista with 32 bit. I cannot make the connection. I cannot Print from my Laptop. Do I need to update the printer driver

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Desktop printer with Vista? Do you mean that you have a shared printer connected to a vista computer?

By the way, when you need drivers, you have to find the ones for your architecture.

Welcome to the forums!

Reaction score
Hello rirrj,

You need the correct drivers for your operating system.

(e.g. 32bit OS = 32bit drivers for your hardware)

For all your software and hardware check the
Windows 7 Compatibility site: (There you will find out about hardware and software compatibilty.)
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/en-us/default.aspx
There is a pulldown from which you can choose "hardware" and "software".
John M
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Reaction score
first of all you need to open the Printer folder in Control Panel and then right-click the printer you want to share, and then click Sharing. The Sharing tab is where you set up your printer so that other people can find and use it from their own computers.For share the printer and type a name for the printer that other people will recognize.I think you have try this.It m ay possible to connect your printer.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Could you try hooking the printer directly to the laptop and allow it to scan the internet for drivers - it should find the 64bit drivers for that printer if they exist. Then, once they are loaded, restore your setup to it's original configuration. And verify you can find the shared printer. Then try printing from your laptop and see if it works. Please let us know if you solve the problem.

Ask a Question