SOLVED 16 Bit program not installing on Windows 7 64x.

Reaction score
Hello, I have a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64x. I have recently tried to install Dune 2000, a 16 bit game, and gives me the error that follows.

The program or feature "\??\E:\SETUP\INSTALL.EXE" cannot start or run due to incompatibility with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is available.

There is no 64x version, and I don't have the money to shell out on Professional for XP Mode. I may have a copy of Vista lying around somewhere.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Hopefully 32-bit Vista because 64-bit Vista wouldn't support 16-bit either.

You might try installing Oracle's VirtualBox for Windows with your 32-bit Vista. Hopefully your processor can handle it well enough to run the game; I would definitely give it a shot.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Reaction score
Hopefully 32-bit Vista because 64-bit Vista wouldn't support 16-bit either.

You might try installing Oracle's VirtualBox for Windows with your 32-bit Vista. Hopefully your processor can handle it well enough to run the game; I would definitely give it a shot.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Found it my copy, and it's 32-bit! I'll try VB in the morning. My processor could handle it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You could always just add a partition to your harddrive and install Vista 32 on the extra partition and set up a dual boot machine, but this means rebooting every time you choose to play the game and then rebooting to return to W7. I think the VirtualBox would be my first choice.

If you try the dual boot method please read up on it first so as not to destroy your W7 data or ability to boot.

Ask a Question