100% CPU usage

Reaction score
Can any one help me? Suddenly, last night, after watching a live broadcast of a baseball game on my laptop (I switched from my wired connection to optimum "hot spot" connection), and after my battery wore out, switched batteries (which most likely has nothing to do with it), and I began experiencing my cursor revolving continuously, with near 100% CPU usage, slowing my computer to a crawl. A couple of months ago, I paid for a resolution of a similar problem (a Trojan virus was apparently the cause). I have run Malware, and TDSSKiller (from Kapersky) and in addition, I am in the middle of a complete virus scan with my Kapersky Anti-Virus (which may take 6 - 8 hours). I also followed advice elsewhere, and disabled my automatic Windows Updates, discontinued Gadgets (which seem to be using a lot of CPU), disabled Windows Search and another program. It has not solved the problem. Svchost.exe is running multiple instances, using up a lot of CPU (but I am told this can be normal).

Might I have a hidden program constantly running in the background that I do not know about?

Thank you very much for any help or advice. I have few computer skills and usually do not understand any of the technical language.

Russell.

Reaction score
Sorry, but I could not locate my first post, and started a second thread (by mistake) and am now using the last (second) thread to communicate, where I have multiple replies. I am a new (novice) user of the forum and am stumbling around trying to figure out how to navigate and communicate. I should close this thread, and have only one thread open with the same issue, to avoid confusion. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ask a Question